Rain denies Kimberley chance to chase a win

Alex King
Alex King
Share this article

On a day where the weather was the boss across the county, Kimberley managed to take part in a truncated encounter at Ordsall Bridon.

At 10:30am, just as the travelling Kimberley players departed on their trek to Ordsall Bridon the rain began in earnest and didn’t stop until around 2pm and then the faint prospect of play appeared.

As it was the game was reduced to 70 overs and Kimberley asked Bridon to bat first when play got under way at 3:45pm.

With the looming prospect of further heavy rain Kimberley had to blast Bridon out relatively cheaply if they were to win the game and at 32-4 after 11 overs it seemed like that might just happen.

In the last game of his loan spell from Australia, Jon Shaw (3-36) did the damage as he took three wickets in consecutive overs; openers Van Den Heuvel and Spooner were both out lbw and then Fagan was well caught by George Bacon at mid-wicket.

Ben Savage (1-31) then followed him up by having Miles caught by Alex King at slip, but, despite some near misses, Kimberley could not force another breakthrough until the 22nd over as Long (22) and Brice (44) battled hard and added 45 for the fifth wicket.

It was the spin of King (3-20) that finally broke the partnership as he took two wickets in his first over as Long and then Ahmed were trapped lbw to leave Bridon on 77-6 and Kimberley were into the lower order.

But they only got one more ball in before the rain came hammering down once more just after 5pm and effectively curtailed any chance of a result.

After a mopping up operation by the Kimberley players and supporters alike, who refused to throw in the towel in the fight against the elements, the game got underway again just before 7pm and realistically the last four wickets had to be taken inside the first three or four overs to give Kimberley around 12 overs to chase down a target.

Bridon however had different ideas as Brice continued his combative innings and with Ellis (16) added 37 to leave the game drifting towards a rain affected draw.

Tom Rowe (1-10) eventually broke the stand when he removed Ellis lbw and when Brice holed out to Dom Wheatley to give King his third wicket it was 119-8 after 32 overs.

Four balls later, after gaining a second batting point, Bridon declared to close the innings before the rain came pouring down again to end the game and a frustrating day.

Nevertheless Kimberley gained three bowling points alongside their six for the abandoned result; three more points than most of the teams in the NPL who didn’t even get to start their matches.

This was also the case for Kimberley’s second, third, fourth and Sunday teams as their respective matches were called off without a ball bowled.

The rain again intervened on Monday when the youngsters of Notts Academy visited Kimberley.

The persistent drizzle during the warm-up was a foreboding sign, but play started on time and Kimberley opted to bat first upon winning the toss.

With all four batsmen contriving to get themselves out Kimberley found themselves at 94-4 in the 29th over with Sam Johnson (14*) and Dom Wheatley (10*) at the crease before the rain put an end to proceedings and the players never got out again.

Tom Rowe (26) top scored before top-edging a pull off Dan Freeman (2-21).

Both sides gained six points each and will now be hoping for some improvement in the weather next weekend when Kimberley travel to Caythorpe.