Stags first team defeated but reserves win in late drama

Share this article

Clipstone 4 Kimberley MW 1

Kimberley put in a lion heart against higher-placed Clipstone FC in this Senior Cup tie and it took a ten minute spell at the end for Welfare to be defeated.

Kimberley started off on the backfoot and it took a calm Matt Walsh to deal with two corner kicks.

Kimberley had a great chance to take the lead as a Martin Lench cross should have been finished but Roberts and Fisher collided in the box to allow the home team keeper to gather the ball.

Kimberley did get the goal their disciplined opening half hour deserved as Lench fired home from 25 yards.

The lead lasted just six minutes and a deflected effort from a similar distance left Walsh with no chance.

Kimberley were the better team earlier in the second-half and it took three fine saves from the home team keeper to deny the underdogs a deserved lead.

Against the run of play Clipstone were awarded a penalty as Roberts was adjudged to have pushed Stubley in the box. The penalty sent Walsh the wrong way.

Kimberley kept plugging away and decisions from the match officials frustrated Welfare who certainly were not getting the rub of the green.

However, it took the introduction of Haslam before the home team looked like scoring. His fine work twice lead to two late goals to give Clipstone a 4-1 victory, a scoreline which flattered them after Welfare were the better team for long periods.

Kimberley MW Res 3

Calverton MW Res 2

Kimberley MW Reserves took a break from league action when they entertained Calverton in an entertaining Notts Intermediate Cup tie that saw them extend their unbeaten start to the season to seven games.

The first 25 minutes saw plenty of action in both halves with neither team really creating any clear cut opportunities.

However this all changed in the 26th minute when Kimberley failed to clear their lines correctly and the Calverton striker opened the scoring.

It looked like remaining that score at half-time. However Corey Cresswell had other ideas when he curled in a free-kick from 25 yards to level the scores.

The second-half was very much a repeat of the first with the bulk of possession being shared by both sides but it was Calverton who very nearly took the lead when from a 62nd minute corner, Kimberley managing to clear a goal bound header off the line to keep the scores level.

With the game entering the 85th minute it looked like both teams were mentally preparing for extra-time. Again though Kimberley failed to defend a cross properly and the Calverton player was able to strike a wonderful 20 yard volley into the bottom corner for what he thought was a match winner.

However, Kimberley refused to accept defeat and in the 88th minute they produced a fantastic four man move that saw Gav Powell retain possession before passing to Matthew Walker who then released Corey Wilson who showed great composure to pick out Asher Pythian who smashed home the equaliser.

A frantic final two minutes entailed that saw Kimberley camped in the opponent’s box. Finally, with the last kick of the game captain Sean Chapman pushed forward and was able to fire home the winner from 15 yards to the delight of the home supporters.