Unbeaten Welfare storm into second

Skipper Martin Lench scored on Saturday and then set up the winner against Borrowash on Wednesday night
Skipper Martin Lench scored on Saturday and then set up the winner against Borrowash on Wednesday night
Share this article

Kimberley Miners Welfare are second in the EMCL with a game in hand after two more wins maintained their stunning start to the campaign.

A 4-2 win at Stapenhill on Saturday was followed up with a 2-1 win at home to Borrowash Victoria on Wednesday night to keep Welfare unbeaten and move them two points behind leaders South Normanton.

Saturday saw Welfare make a good start against last season’s runners-up, Martin Lench seeing an early shot saved and Anthony Gregory going close before Lench drilled an unstoppable shot past keeper Steve Gough to put the visitors in front on 18 minutes.

The hosts were soon level, Matt Weightman netting from the penalty spot after keeper Matt Walsh had fouled Asa Sippits.

Stapenhill then went in front when a poor clearance was pounced on by Weightman and he finished well.

Kimberley were level by half-time, however, as Gregory headed level from Mark Smith’s superb cross, Smith himself seeing an effort saved just before the break.

Welfare dominated the second-half and took the lead early on when Lench’s cross found Elliott King who headed home unmarked at the far post.

Smith was denied by Gough once again but the the win was sealed on 76 minutes when Robert Labbate’s cross was turned in by debutant sub Ryan Bowen to settle the encounter.

Wednesday night saw Welfare welcome Borrowash to the Stag Ground and record a 2-1 win.

Kimberley went in front 12 minutes in as keeper Harry Daykin, in for the injured Matt Walsh, launched a clearance that found its way through to Gregory who finished well.

The lead lasted just five minutes as after the home defence struggled to clear, Ross Coxon fired a fine effort into the top corner.

After Vics had begun the second-half strongly, Welfare eventually took control and the winner came on 64 minutes as a superb through ball from skipper Lench was calmly slotted home by Smith.

Liam Honeyman, Gregory, Lench and Bowen all had late chances go close to making it three, but the points were safe and Kimberley were up to second.